The Flag of Ireland The Flag of Australia The Flag of the United Kingdom

                                                               THE HAMMOND FAMILY IN AUSTRALIA

County Monaghan - Parish Currin

c1850 -CURRIN, a parish, partly in the barony of COOLE, county of FERMANAGH, but chiefly in the barony of DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Clones, on the road to Ballyhaise and Stradone ; containing, with the town of Drum and the village of Scotshouse (each of which is separately described), 7180 inhabitants.
This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 11,372 statute acres, of which 10,987 are in Monaghan, and 385 in Fermanagh. The land is chiefly arable ; there are about 200 acres of woodland, but little bog, and fuel is very scarce. There are several lakes in the parish, of which those contiguous to Drum, and to the Hilton demesne, are the most extensive. In addition to agricultural labour, the chief occupation of the inhabitants is the linen manufacture. Hilton Lodge, the beautiful residence of Col. Madden, is situated on the confines of Fermanagh, and commands a fine view of the neighbouring mountains ; the demesne, which is several hundred acres in extent, is well furnished with fine timber, and has a well stocked deer park. The other seats are Minore, that of Captain Cottnam ; and Laurel Hill, the property of George Moore, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, united by episcopal authority to part of the rectory and vicarage of Drumkrin, together forming the union of Currin, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £400, and the gross tithes of the benefice to £584. The glebe, which was erected by a gift of £380. 15. from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1828, comprises 60 acres of profitable land, valued at £100 per annum. The parochial church, at Scotshouse, is a neat modern structure in good repair ; there is also a chapel of ease at Drum. On the next avoidance it is provided by acts of council, dated Jan. 7th, 1804, and March 6th, 1806, that the union be dissolved, when the part of Drumkrin will be attached to the parish of Drummully. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church : the chapel is at Scotshouse. There are two Presbyterian meeting-houses in Drum, one in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class ; and one for Seceders, of the second class. There are schools at Scotshouse, Tattenaghcake, Carnagarry, Aghrea, Mockla, Carne, Laurel Hill, Killefargy, and Drum, in which are about 530 boys and 330 girls. There are also three private schools, in which are about 40 boys and 20 girls ; and six Sunday schools.

Along with Armagh and Louth, Monaghan was originally part of the Gaelic kingdom of Oriel which dates from around 330 AD. The McMahons were the dominant family in the Monaghan area and, together with the McKennas, remained so until the mid-seventeenth century. Although a part of Ulster, the county was not included in the great Plantation which began in 1610. It was only after the failure of the rebellion against Cromwell later in the century, and the subsequent confiscations, that some settlement by the English and the Scots took place.

Like Armagh and Louth, Monaghan was one of the most densely populated areas of Ireland in 1841. Accordingly, its people suffered greatly in the Famine. The population dropped by almost a third between 1841 and 1851, and went on falling as emigrants flooded out of the county over the following decades. By 1961, there were only 47,000 inhabitants left, less than a quarter of the total 120 years before.

Currin-Killeevan-Aghabog:- Originally three separate parishes, Currin and Killeevan were later united as one and, later still, Aghabog was added to the triumvirate. Scotshouse village is the main centre in Currin, a parish that gave Co. Monaghan the Moore family, prominent teachers, historians, writers and footballers. Newbliss is the epicentre of Killeevan and the parents of Irish patriot, revolutionary and 1916 leader, James Connolly, came from this area. The ‘Black Pig’s Dyke’ winds its way through this parish and in recent years some archeological excavations have been carried out. The great McMahon clan once had one of their major strongholds here while, in more recent times, Patrick Whelan led the local '1916' Volunteer Movement’ and also became very prominent in Monaghan and Ulster GAA circles. The Tyrone Guthrie Centre at Annaghmakerrig is now an artists' centre